The Beauty of Blue Hair

One day, I was sitting in church, and a young girl--seven years old--further down the pew was coloring.  I must confess that on my weeks on, though I still attend church, with it being in the middle of the day, after working all night, I'm not exactly "all there" mentally.  So, my mind wandered, as I blankly stared at this girl's coloring book. I watched as a cartoon girl's hair took on a hue--specifically blue. Probably cerulean if my crayola recognition is on--I developed a very sensitive eye to blue and purple in college where, in MLS training, "sky blue histiocytes" and "pink-dawned promyelocytes" are all actually the same color.

I made an observation though.  Why, when this seven-year-old girl looks at the crayon selection, is blue an acceptable color for hair? When I colored all the pictures for these picture books for my nieces and nephews (which are still not done), I sat there trying to find more hair color options, because I would have never considered making hair blue.

Now, I acknowledge that I am not a creative or out-side-the-box thinker.  In fact, I am very pedantic when it comes to--well--most anything.  I don't think that--for me, at least--it is an evidence of my adulthood.  I don't really recall ever finding blue hair acceptable.  That and the fact that I have often been told that I have a strong inner-child.  But, I also have an "over-developed sense of [duty]" (altered Princess Bride quote).

But, I wish I lived in a world where the blue crayon was an acceptable option for hair.

Comments

Amy R said…
I enjoyed this post. So you don't think you could ever color hair blue? I might not have realized how rigid your constructs are.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?