5 Things I Regret Not Doing In College

Right after I graduated from college, I wrote a post about ten random things from college that I didn't regret.  But, there are things from college that I do regret, and hopefully, college students going in will take my advice. And it's not true that you should live with no regrets.  There will always be things in life that you simply regret.

1. TA Review Sessions

I didn't never go to a review session, but I didn't go to them as much as I should have.  I used them for test prep, but here's my piece of advice:  For every course that you have a TA, go to a review session every week if you can.  When I started learning the value of these things--not until they were almost gone for me because we didn't have TAs in the MLS program--there were even courses that I went to a review for every lecture.  Don't think that they don't have value because the TA isn't sitting there and just giving you hints about the test. Even if they do nothing but answer other students' questions that you didn't have, or just rehash the lecture, they are worth it.  When I was a TA, I learned that many students just wanted me to give them the answers to the exam, and would leave if that's not what I was doing.  Go and listen to the TAs give their reviews, even if it's Q&A style and you don't have questions.  Hearing the material again and again, and from a different person helps it stick.  Sometimes when the professor said it, it didn't work in your mind, but the TA talks differently than the professor by virtue of being a different person, and sometimes them saying it in their own words just makes it click.

2. Clubs

I cannot tell you how much I regret not really joining clubs.

3. Hanging Out With People in Your Classes

People who you have classes with you in college share your interests.  I regret not getting to know them all a lot better.

4. Just Talking With your Professors

I did this a bit more than many college students, but I regret not doing it more.  Your professors are experts in their fields.  I liked talking to them after class more than many.  I liked getting to know them.  I still have professors who,  if I'm just hanging out around BYU campus, will stop and catch up with me.  But when I TA'd American Heritage, sometimes in meetings the professors would go off on tangents about political theory and stuff, and just listening to them was a joy and a pleasure.

5. BYU Devotionals and Forums

This one is specific to BYU, but pretty much all colleges have guest speakers and the like.  I started going to every devotional and forum later in my college life.  I wish that I had always done that.  I missed out on a lot of amazing speakers and speeches.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?