Book Review: Sahara Special

“I’d sooner not try than fail. They may think I’m stupid, but I’m not. Knowing I’m not stupid is enough for me; I’m enough for me.”

 

My names are given to me, but they are also the names that I choose to take. And the choosing makes all the difference.”


Book reviews are getting knocked off the list for my week off.  While I read more in order to require more book reviews to go on the list.


Sahara's teachers say that she needs special ed.  Sahara's mother says that Sahara is really smart, she is just lazy.  Both are kind of true. And no teacher believes in Sahara, except for Miss "Pointy." 

Sahara Jones is a typical troubled child.  Implied to be African American (but I don't know that they ever came right out and said it).  Her father ran away.  Lives on the wrong side of Chicago.  You know the type.  But she wants to be a writer.  And yet, she never writes in her journal at school, to which Miss Pointy simply responds, "A writer writes."  Eventually Sahara learns that too.

Quick review for a quick book.  This book is one of those "inspirational teacher" books that I try to hate, but I can't do it.  Because there are too many feels.  It was so corny, and so sappy.  But I liked it.  I, in fact, loved it.  And I am deeply ashamed of that fact.

Five stars.  And that is all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?