One of the Worst Christmas Songs Ever Written--Redeemed

I make no secret of the fact that, for me, Christmas is not a holiday.  It's a lifestyle.  I love Christmas.  A lot.  But just because I love Christmas, isn't a good reason for liking everything about Christmas.  One part of Christmas I don't like?  The Little Drummer Boy.  It's an awful song.  I don't know why so many people like it. Or least, I didn't know. 

I have spent many years collecting versions I like to determine what was wrong with most versions.  With our four case studies, I have learned the key to a good rendition of The Little Drummer Boy.

Exhibit A:  Bob Seger version.

This version of The Little Drummer Boy is completely tolerable, and even a little likeable at times (in the right place at the right moment).  

Pay no attention to the pictures, because that movie is another thing that makes The Little Drummer Boy awful.



Exhibit B:  Manheim Steamroller version.

I actually like this version. 




Exhibit C:  Glee version



When I heard this on my Pandora, I was working on writing something in Microsoft Word.  I switched my screens to see who was singing the version, because I really liked it.  I don't like Little Drummer Boy, and I don't like Glee.  But, apparently two wrongs do make a right.

Exhibit D:  David Bowie/Bing Crosby version



Even though I don't like Little Drummer Boy, this song is one of my favorite Christmas songs.  Period. 


So, what do these case studies teach us on how to make The Little Drummer Boy a good song? 

1) Speed it up. This is shown by Exhibit B, and somewhat Exhibits A and C
2) Hold out the vowel on the rum-pa-pum-pums, not the consonants.  Exhibits A, C and D show us that we are not a herd of bees, and no one wants to hear a herd of bees.
3) Have a nice clear voice.  Exhibit C and D
4) Have some other words in there:  Exhibit D
5) Alternatively, take the words out entirely.  Exhibit B.

And that is how to make The Little Drummer Boy good.

Comments

p said…
Tori Amos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsEfyjVGNUk largely for the interpretive piano variations.

would be my vote for best version though I like Bing and David pretty well too. Bob Seger doesn't make my cut on this one.
p said…
You should hear this version of It Came Upon a Midnight Clear as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoQqrAyPKM

Skip to 1:15 where the music starts.
Hannah said…
I liked her piano rendition, but I kind of wished she wouldn't have sung. She's not a bad singer, but I think it would have been better as a piano solo.

And like I said, Bob Seger makes it tolerable.

That It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is really, really pretty.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?