Book Review: The Shakespeare Stealer

“This business of friendship was a curious thing, almost as difficult to learn as the busuness of acting. Sometimes you were expected to tell the truth, to express your thoughts and your feelings, and then other times what was wanted was a lie, a bit of disguise.” 


We are in the throes of Nanowrimo.  I am working on my Nanowrimo in another window.  But I haven't gotten my writing juices going yet today, I don't think. So, it's a little slow-going at the moment, but hopefully writing this post will help get my fingers typing.   I am a little behind from the last few days of not writing, but its not as far behind as I have been in my fairly extensive Nanowrimo history, and I can easily fix it with just a few hundred extra words in the next few days. 

In order to finish Nanowrimo, you have to write 1667 words each day.  The funny thing is that 1500 words is about when your mind gets going and you can start to be able to really pump out the words.  So, if you can get to the 1500, a lot of times you don't stop for another 500-600 or so. 

But, I have another book review for you all. It's a book I think a lot of people would like, so here goes.



The Shakespeare Stealer is a middle grade historical fiction.  "Widge" is an orphan boy who was taken in by a medical doctor/pastor named Dr. Bright.  Dr. Bright teaches Widge how to read, write and educates him, as well as using him as guinea pig for his newly developed form of stenography.  Widge is fast and proficient at it, and also the only person on earth (Dr. Bright included) who can functionally use it.  When a mysterious stranger comes to Dr. Bright to learn about it, he buys Widge from the doctor, and then tells Widge that he has a mission for him.  He is to go to London and, using his special skill, steal Hamlet.   But when Widge starts to feel what friendship and companionship could actually be like, he has second thoughts on his mission.

There are parts of the story that are a bit contrived, but it's a fun and fast-paced adventure into the world of Elizabethan England.  I really enjoyed it, and I like stories designed to get kids interested in history.  This is a book for people who enjoyed books like The Second Mrs. Giaconda, A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver, My Brother Sam is Dead and I, Juan de Pareja.  

It does have one penalty to pay, and that's the written dialect penalty.  However, if there's any accent that I don't mind being transcribed, it's the Yorkshire Accent.  I have been in love with that accent ever since I saw a movie version of The Secret Garden. It was basically the only good part of that movie (we've talked about my disdain for Frances Hodgson Burnett before), but that is a gorgeous accent if there ever was one.  Gorgeous in a strange way, but I like it.  I also like Appalachian accents which many people find grating. So, there you go.

I would recommend it to any child, or anyone who works with children, or anyone who just likes children's literature.  And as C.S. Lewis said, "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."

Four Stars for The Shakespeare Stealer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?