Book Review: Wool

“'We are not the people who made this world, Lukas, but it's up to us to survive it. You need to understand that.'
'We can't control where we are right now,' he mumbled, 'just what we do going forward.'"


I told you that we had a lot of books that I needed to finish the series before I could review it.  Well, here's one: Wool.  Thanks to my cousin-in-law (which is not a word, but really should be), Chris, for this recommendation.

They have always been told that the world outside is toxic.  And because of that, God created the sky, the earth, the outside, and the silo.  The silo is meant to keep them all safe.  But what about this world that the stories say existed before?  Was it really just fairy-tales and bedtime stories?  Or did those people really live?  Don't ask too many questions, because curiosity is dangerous.  And never, ever, say that you want to go to the outside.  Or you may just get your wish.

The Wool series (also called the Silo series) consists of 5 short novellas, and is gorgeously crafted.  I have to say that the fifth one was not my favorite--just because I feel like it felt a little bit rushed, but the third and fourth were perfectly masterful.  This series is everything right about dystopia.  It's like someone wanted to answer the questions that the Divergent author wanted to, but actually knew how to do it, and address those questions and understand enough about humanity to do it.  Also, might add that Wool was written prior to Divergent (barely...they both came out in 2011), so it's not a rip-off. Oh, Divergent, that sorry and pathetic excuse for dystopian literature.

There is some strong language, so be aware of that for younger readers.  But, it is quite well done, and he's a good writer.  I especially liked the descriptions and prose.  That's rare for me.  Dialogue usually appeals to me more than prose, so that is a huge compliment.

If I had to rate the whole series, I'd go for four stars.  There are individual books with five star ratings.

Also note that I haven't read the Shift series, which is in the same world as Wool.  I probably will at some point, but at the moment, I can offer no insights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?