A Response From Yesterday's Post

After yesterday's post, someone I knew told me that they'd heard of a show that I might like.  They said they hadn't watched it, but suggested it.  It's called Red Band Society.  The person told me, "You work in a children's hospital, and it's about a pediatrics ward."  Okay, so I appreciate the thought.  I watched the first episode yesterday while I worked on learning to crochet.  The show was even worse than my crocheting, and if anyone knows my crochet...yikes.

Don't watch it. But there are few things that everyone who likes the show on the internet that say they like it because they work in the medical field seem to have missed:

1) If there is anything I've learned from working at a children's hospital, it's this:  I have seen the white blood cell counts/diffs of cancer kids.  I have seen the respiratory cultures of CF kids. Do not EVER put these two patient populations in the same room or let them anywhere near one another.
2) Anorexia Girl is nice and attractively proportioned.  Real people with anorexia look like Holocaust victims.  Good job making kids believe that anorexia will make you attractive.
3) When people are on chemo, all of their hair will fall out.  This includes their eyebrows.
4) Sick kids are...well...sick.  They don't feel wonderful all day long.  This isn't to say that they always feel terrible.  One day I was walking through PICU when I was run into headlong by a child of approximately 9-years who was apparently under intensive care.  But chemo is a puke-a-rama.  Kids in heart failure...well their hearts are failing.  And kids with CF don't just cough when they're manipulating someone.
5) How does Coma Kid (the narrator) have any kind of knowledge of  things that happen outside his hospital room?

It was like a saccharine cross between The Breakfast Club, Glee and The Fault in Our Stars.  In the worst way.  So, I appreciate the suggestion of TV, but...yeah.  I do not recommend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?