Book Review: Victory

"Here, young Sam. Here's a bit for you. Keep it till you die, and have it buried with you. Your own little bit of Nelson."


 I officially finished my internship today, I find out tomorrow what my employment situation will look like, and tomorrow, I leave for New York for Christmas!  And I can fit in another book review before leaving, because I finished a book in celebration of my official and permanent college graduation. It's another children's book, though on my latest library trip to find books for the plane, I got only one young adult, and  two are from the adult section, and none from the juvenile or children's section, so you might get some grown-up book reviews soon.  True, I never get anything from the children's section, because the Tooele County Library (that only serves the city of Tooele for free) only has picture books in the children's section.  But we have to give credit where credit is due.  I mostly searched in the age-appropriate section this time.

But, today's book is Victory.


I found this book because they set out all the books that the library just bought for everyone to see them.  And this one caught my eye (that's the sign of a good cover-artist there).  I like historical fiction, and I like maritime adventure.  This is especially because I'm in a maritime adventure mood after having written it for NaNoWriMo.  I was half-enthralled and half-disappointed.  This is because this book has TWO STORIES.  And when I read the cover-jacket, I assumed that modern day Molly was going to be transported to the HMS Victory, but that's not what happens.  They are two completely independent stories that have some completely contrived connection, that I won't spoil, that isn't a real connection.

In the chapters that dealt with Sam Robbins, press-ganged ship's boy aboard the HMS Victory during the Battle of Trafalgar, I was captivated.  The descriptions were exquisite (though the characterizations were somewhat weak), the detail was remarkable, and the adventure was riveting.  But the chapters that dealt with Molly Jennings, whiny modern girl extraordinaire, I wanted to throw-up.  She was so obnoxious and acted like the world was ending because her mother had married an American and she had to leave England.  Her American step-brother lived in England for two years.  He wasn't happy about it, but he didn't mope 24-7.  She didn't have any redeeming qualities, and her story was dull.  Plus the Molly chapters were written in present-tense, and I think we've already discussed that sin. One of the reviews on the back of the book says, "A vivid historical tale within the framework of a compelling modern story."  That's half true.  

As such, I will award the stars separately and then average.  The Sam Robbins chapters get five stars easily (though they could deal with better characters).  The Molly Jennings chapters get 1 star.  So, I guess we give 3 stars overall.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?