Book Review: Peter and the Starcatchers

"I can't come with you. I'm not like you.  I'll never be like you." -Peter


I am so close to being done with my internship, it is not funny.  And I have read a fantastic series of books. So, I will share them with you.



These books are the "prequels" to Peter Pan.  A lot of the aspects of Peter Pan are explained, and some of the characters are more fully explored. However, as well as being the prequels, they are supposed to be the "true story," of Peter Pan.  The Indians are actually Islanders named the Mollusks, and the chief's daughter is actually named Shining Pearl.  Pixie dust can't really make you fly, starstuff does, etc.  It's as though the original Peter Pan was a corruption of these stories.  It's kind of fun in that regard.

I will begin by saying that I loved these books.  They are fun, creative, inventive, funny, adventurous and engaging.  Also, the two men who wrote them seem to be little boys at heart, and have a gift for capturing the thinking of a child.  These books are, frankly, enchanting.  I also cried like a little baby at the end of Secret of Rundoon--because I was that attached to the characters and I cared that deeply about them.  Also, some people who don't read into Barrie's book deeply enough miss Peter's soft and lovable side. This side of Peter is fully developed in these books and you can't help but love him, even though he's sometimes arrogant and hardened.

My caution to any parents:  The first book is probably child appropriate.  However, as the books go on, you may want to just know your child.  The second book includes a character that can possess you by stealing your shadow (and is in every book from there on).  The fourth book includes a character that can cause excruciating pain whenever he chooses.  Sometimes, that pain is described in detail.  In the third book, the shadow-thief possesses Peter's best friend and makes him gouge his fingernails into his own face until Peter agrees to do what he wants him to.  The third has generally some violent and graphic descriptions in it.  I really just say to know your child.

Overall, the story is one that I will love for a long time.  Five stars on each and every book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?