Do what I asked, not what you wished I had asked

Today was a bit of a rough day.  We received our mid-semester evaluations in American Heritage TA meeting.  Basically, this is where the students are invited to say most anything that they want about their TA--good and bad--and then it all gets put on a piece of paper and we get to read it all.  I can take criticism.  I find myself pretty good at taking criticism. But part of why it's so hard is the range.  On one piece of paper, you have comments saying something you do that one student loves, and another student completely hates.  You have comments about how you're an amazing TA who really cares about her students and goes the extra mile, followed by comments about how you're a TA who they're afraid to approach because they feel like they're a nuisance to me.  And then, there are suggestions that you should spend more hours in the TA room (when you can't by labor laws), or completely transgress department, college or university policy, or completely disregard instructions from the professors about what to cover.  It's like being stroked, hit and blamed for other people's choices in quick succession and can be a bit difficult.  As Supernanny would say, "Your messages are mixed!" Add that to the fact that they chose today; since most of us TAs (as BYU students) are Republicans and already disappointed with the election, it was like kicking us while we were down. 

So, I'm going to muse about religion.  My medical parasitology professor often tells us after exams, "Remember to answer the question that I asked, not the question you wish I had asked."  And it seems that God has to sometimes tell us that too.  Do what God asked.  Not what you wish he had asked.  This seems to be Saul's problem.  Ever wonder why Saul was all preened and then never really became a big deal?  God told him to raid a city, but to kill EVERYTHING inside the city.  Saul saved the animals to keep as sacrifices.  He figured that he was doing what God wanted him to do.  God liked animals as sacrifices, right?  But, God tells Samuel that Saul is not to be the king anymore.  Because He didn't ask Saul to keep the animals as sacrifices.  He told Saul to kill everything.  Saul is another one of those Old Testament guys with whom I identify.  I am a very stubborn person.  And a lot of times, I think, "Well, I'm not doing that.  But I'm doing something good.  So, I guess it's okay."  And so was Saul.  He was doing something with God in mind. But his self-will and unwillingness to listen to God was a tragic flaw.  Interestingly enough, the word Saul means "asked" in Hebrew.

So, do what God told you to do.  Not what you wish he had asked you to do.  Even if it seems like a good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?