The Question of Salt

So, my roommates recently asked me why I use kosher salt. The answer is complicated. The first answer is just that that's what I bought. The second answer is that I find it to be more flavorful meaning that I use less of it (which is both cost-effective and healthier) and that it contributes more than just "saltiness." But those were things I discovered I liked about kosher salt after I bought it. They mean I'll probably buy kosher salt next time.

My mother, on the other hand, has recently started using sea salt almost exclusively. I don't really have an opinion about this one. But she says that she tastes a difference and that she like sea salt better. I could analyze this, but I don't know.

So, my question, dear readers, is what about you? What salt do you use? Sea salt? Kosher salt? Iodized salt? Some other kind that I've never heard of but would love to?

Comments

Amy R said…
I don't exclusively use sea salt. While baking, etc, I just use regular Morton Iodized Salt, but if I'm salting for Flavor--sea salt is the way to go. I do like my Montreal Steak Seasoning and I believe it has sea salt. On another note, when I saw the title of this blog, and because of your more recent posts, I thought the topic of this blog might be about the scriptural interpretation of salt. Oh well.
Evelyn said…
I like salt! I use any kind of salt marketed for human ingestion that is available at my moments of salt craving. In my home I have both sea salt and regular Morton Iodized Salt.
p said…
Kosher salt has a clean salt flavor. It has no metallic tasting iodine. Nor the naturally occurring extras of sea salt.

In pro cooking, Kosher is used during cooking because it tastes clean and like salt should. It's easy to see on food so you know how much you're adding. (no baking as it doesn't always dissolve/disperse evenly enough).

Sea salt is generally considered a finishing salt. Something you use at the end to correct seasoning where the extra nuances of the minerals can come through on the surface of the food.

There are also kosher sea salts. I'm not fond of them as they tend to not dissolve well at all and often have mineral chunks too large.

All salt is parve. Kosher salt is so called because the process of koshering meat calls for a salting to draw out the blood from the carcass. A large coarse crystal facilitates this.

I've taken to koshering my chickens and turkey at home just before I cook them as it does improve the meat and I prefer it's effects over brining which is probably more popular right now.
I don't use a lot of salt, but I do like it. To me salt is salt, is salt, is salt (HCl).
p said…
HCL is Hydrochloric acid.

NaCl is salt
Hannah said…
I'm glad that Phil was able to explain to me why I think kosher salt has more flavor. It's just purer flavor. At least I know I'm not a blithering idiot now.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?