New Year's Resolution Reflections of 2015

I haven't been able to my New Year's posts yet...as I have been in the throes of sinus infection and the installation of the accompanying snot into any body cavity it can find.  Lungs, throat, ears, eyes, you name it, it has not been fun.  But, I am taking a moment to do the first of three New Year's posts.  They will be, in order, Resolution Reflections from the 2015 resolutions, my 2016 resolutions, and then, the 2015 book list.

First, the 2015 New Year's Resolution Reflections. I am a New Year's Resolutioner.  I believe in goals, I believe in changes, I believe in Resolutions.  And I think that sometimes people think that this means I hate myself.  It doesn't.  I am simply believing in the Hannah that can be, and I love the Hannah of the future, more than the Hannah of the present.  Perhaps that seems like a depressing prospect, but I actually quite like my life like that.

So, how did we do on these resolutions?

Health Goals

Eat at least one meal every day: This one came and went and came and went.  However, I think that, even though this was made for health reasons, I also found that eating meals created a lot of stability in my life.  When I was in a spat of keeping this resolution, I felt like I was just more put together.  This may be a chicken/egg scenario, but whatever it was, I think this resolution will be recycled, and hopefully I will do a little bit better this year.

Carry around a water bottle: This one also came and went.  However, I noticed that when I would have long spats of it, I would even get to the place where my body was used to it, and it WASN'T accompanied by a massive amount of peeing.  So, let's just get to that place permanently.

Writing Goals 

Finish first draft of novel "War to End All Wars": I accomplished this one straight up, and I am very happy that I did.  Yes, there was a bit of a bittersweet feeling to this, as this novel had been such an important part of my life for such a long time (since age 13).  I've never made a secret of the fact that I do not have a lot of friends--at least not really close ones--and the characters of this novel know me better than most people on this planet (my siblings and parents excepted).  I know that sounds strange, and slightly schizophrenic, but really the only difference between fiction writers and schizophrenics is that when they tell us to commit crimes, we only spill fictional blood.

Finish first draft of novel "Passing the Setting Sun": I also accomplished this one.  It felt really good to finally have a NaNoWriMo that I see through to its finish.  I had a NaNoWriMo before that I finished, but I had finished IN NaNoWriMo, so it felt good to see this one through.

Complete NaNoWriMo in November: Yep, yep, yep.  NaNoWriMo has given me a lot throughout the years.  I think that it is becoming bigger than any of its founders, or any of us earlier NaNo-ers would have ever expected.  But love isn't divided, it's multiplied.  I am glad that so many people have been able to find the outlet that writing is through NaNoWriMo, and I'm glad for everything that NaNo has taught me, everything that it has gotten me through, and hope that it teaches me more for years to come.  

Reading Goals

Read at least 80 books: So, I read 141.  And thus we see that single women read too much.

5% of total books read must be non-fiction: 2.8% were non-fiction.  I need to work on this one a bit more, but I think that's more non-fiction than I usually read (not counting textbooks, because textbooks NEVER count toward reading goals).  But, I learned a lot of cool things, and all the non-fiction books that I read I have referenced in discussions since reading them.  I think they enrich my reading experience, and I hope to do better with this in the coming year.

7.5% of total books read must be "classic" or "great" books: 4.9% were "classic" or "great" books.  I also need to work on this one a bit more, but I did, if nothing else, solidify my absolute love for John Steinbeck.

The Popsugar reading challenge: I didn't get it all the way done, but some of them were impossible, I guess.  Such as the one that said I should read a book I was supposed to read in school but didn't...as I am addicted to duty, and read every book in English class that I was supposed to read.  That said, this reading challenge did introduce me to comic books, which I'm developing quite the taste for.  Hawkeye and Captain America being my favorites.

Religious and Family History Goals

Read scriptures every day: I am not perfect at this, but I did improve greatly.  It will take another resolution to get this habit up to snuff, but it did improve, and I have a much  more positive outlook on life when I read my scriptures that day.

 Pray every day:  This one needs work.  But I did improve.  I think that it just puts you in a mindset of communication with God, and opens you to inspiration.  I felt a difference when I did do it, I'll just have to actually do it.

Index or arbitrate 300 records every quarter: I had times when the bug bit, but then I'd get out of habit again.  I need to do better at this one, because I know that I can feel the other side of the veil more closely when I do this.

Find 16 names for the temple: I unfortunately only got 8.  However, in an alternative to the goal, I created a "garden path" to teach my sister about family history.  I set aside a line, and made sure that it was findable, and then let her have it.  So, I feel like the spirit of the goal was achieved.  And I was happy to share a little bit of one of my loves with her.

Take at least one name through all temple ordinance, personally: Other than sealing her to husband (as we're waiting for the husband's work to be done), and to her parents (as I haven't actually pinned down their exact identities), I did this for Catherine Maurer.  Maybe it's strange, but I imagine what she looks like.  If you don't know me super well, maybe this isn't that big of a deal to you, but let me explain.  I don't work with visuals.  In fact, though I can hear my mother's voice and my father's voice in my head, I cannot conjure up the image of their faces.  I don't do visual.  But I can imagine what this woman looked like.

Go to the temple at least once per month: I missed one month.  However, in general, I believe the habit was formed, and I think that it created a pattern of devotion that I want to build on this year.

Diligently look for an eternal companion: I looked.  I found nothing.  But I looked.  I dated quite a bit this year, and I intend to continue dating this coming year. 

Professional and Career Goals

Take the GRE: I took the GRE.  I did, I did.

Complete Grad School Applications: Applications are in.  I will keep you posted.

Finish 14 CE Credits for ASCP: I did.

Music and Dance Goals

Finish John Thompson Level 3: I didn't finish it quite yet, but I am quite close, and my wrists are now able to do many different articulation technics previously unavailable to me.  I like feeling like my music training isn't done.  I think too often we think of the development of musical skills to be something for children, but it really isn't. We all need to be improving constantly.

Learn all of Mozart Concerto in A major for violin: I did not finish this one. I also learned that I freakin' hate this concerto.  It doesn't really have much of a catchy melody.  But, it's going on 2016's resolutions anyways, if only because I don't want to say that I am a quitter. 

Achieve Prizewinner Level in all Irish Dance competition categories: I still compete all my dances at Novice.  But, I made a lot of technical progress, and I am scoring higher in competitions.  I anticipate some good placement in competitions in the near future, and will check back with you on this for our next New Year's check in.  Even though I didn't hit the mark on this, I feel like good progress was made.

Renaissance Project Goals


Finish my current Latin book: I did not finish the book.  I was doing well at the beginning of the year, but then I tapered off.  I think a combination of better organization and stick-to-it-ive-ness is needed for the next few months to achieve this goal.  I will do it, though.

Finish my current Ancient Greek book:  See above.

Random Goals




Sew a dress: Yeah...so I didn't do this.  I cut out the pattern, though.  Really, that is extreme progress for me, and I will work on it some more this year.  

Do Four Things on my bucket list: This one was just a failure, and I will admit it.

Visit One New State: I did this.  I had never been to California.  I have now been to California twice.  Yes, both times it was to inspect medical laboratories for CAP compliance, but it was California.  And I did go to the San Diego Zoo on one of the visits, so I say it definitely counts.  I discovered that I never, ever, ever want to live in California.  But, I'm glad that I can now say I have been to California.

So, here is the first installment of the New Year's Posts.  And you can now judge my failings appropriately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?