How Did We Ever Live Without Life Hacks?

A few weeks ago, I was on facebook, and saw someone post another meme of a life hack.  Someone's comment, "How did we ever live without life hacks?"  I thought about that for a second.  What did we do before tumblr and Pinterest were so kind as to make life hack pages for us?  How did we live? Then, I thought back to all the times that I saw a "life hack," and thought, "Didn't your mom ever tell you that?" 

Because life hacks, used to go under a different name:  Old Wives Tricks. 

So, here are some "Life Hacks" that everyone is going nuts over, that my mother already taught me:

1) Put a piece of bright ribbon on your suitcase handle so you can find it on the baggage claim.
2) Put a magnet in a door to keep it from automatically locking
3) Flip button-up shirts inside out when ironing so that the buttons don't get in the way
4) Keep the boxes for Christmas ornament bulbs to put them away
5) Keep batteries in the fridge to keep them good longer (to be fair, my dad taught me that one)
6) Tilt the browned hamburger pan, and put a paper towel in it to get the excess grease out
7) Put cords inside toilet-paper tubes to keep them from getting tangled
8) Use a bit of eraser when you've lost the back to an earring
9) Put the soap and water into the blender then turn it on, and it cleans itself
10) Multiple tricks about how to do mental math
11) fold back the end of tape so that it doesn't get lost
12) When you microwave something bready, put water in the microwave with it.
13) Pinch the prongs of an Edison plug together so that it stays in the socket

There are more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now. 

I think this is the same concept as how people always ask me, "It's cool that you know how to cook.  I guess my mom never had the time to teach me."  My mother never sat down and taught me to cook, but I guess I learned how to cook from her.  Why?  I've given it some thought, and after that, and asking my dad how he thinks it happened, I've come to a conclusion.  My siblings and I spent a lot more time at home than many children of my generation.  And when you spend time around your mom, you learn how to do things from her.

So, teenagers of today, if you want to learn life hacks, here's how you do it.  Get off of tumblr, get off of pinterest, and just look around your house, and watch how your mom does stuff.  You'd be surprised what you can learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?