The Cupcake Quest: Sweet Tooth Fairy

Amazingly, the second mission of the Cupcake Quest resulted in success!  Sweet Tooth Fairy is the king of cupcake places in Utah.  Or maybe queen...I don't know, are cupcake places male or female?  Anyway, Sweet Tooth Fairy has something like nine locations through Utah, and I think they even have one in Arizona now.

They won Cupcake Wars at one point, but that can mean two things.  1) They have good cupcakes.  or 2) The other competitors have nasty cupcakes.  I had seen their episode, and I was unsure which category they fell in, because each and every round, someone else made grievous errors (sometimes even more than one person made grievous errors) that got them eliminated.  On the other hand, the judges only had glowing things to say about Sweet Tooth Fairy's cupcakes.  The only criticisms they had in the entire show were: 1) I love your sweet potato cupcake, but I wish there were just a few more pecans and 2) I love the taste of the creme brulee cupcake, but it's just a bit too moist.

So, I was curious to know. 

They were SO good. I went to the one on Fort Union Blvd, because it was just a few blocks from my apartment.  For fairness sake, I got four cupcakes.  They didn't have minis, so this time I had to have full cupcakes and couldn't eat them all in one sitting.  It was okay that I had to get full ones, because they were amazing, and I seriously am craving them right now.

I got four of them: salted caramel, Reese's chocolate and peanut butter, cookie dough, and strawberry shortcake.

Salted Caramel:  I guess the best thing about Sweet Tooth Fairy is the frosting.  Most frosting, especially cupcake frosting, is so sugary that you can't eat it.  The frosting at Sweet Tooth Fairy is fantastic--I want to eat more of it.  Also, each cupcake tasted different.  The frosting actually tasted like what it was purported to taste like!  The cake was really good too.  I think the only thing I can say about this cupcake is, once again, if you're not going to put salt on it, don't call it salted caramel!  But the cake was yummy, and the frosting tasted like caramel. If I actually liked caramel, this would be a winner.  (Why do I always choose a caramel one if I don't even like caramel?  It's kind of the control group).

Reese's chocolate and peanut butter:  Man, oh, man.  I want one of these so much, right now.  The frosting I could eat with a spoon, and the cupcake was really good--and cake is probably the bottom of my dessert list.  The frosting tasted like peanut butter--in the rich and creamy way, not in the over-sweet crud way. The cake was a nice, fluffy, awesome chocolate cake.

Cookie Dough:  Also craving this one hard core.  I don't know what they put on the top of it, but it was like--cookie dough that had been turned into frosting.  It even had that kind of fantastic grittiness that cookie dough has, but it wasn't sticky like cookie dough, and it was obviously piped on there.  Not sure how they did it, but it was awesome.  The cupcake was a little bit on the muffin side, but that may be a good thing.

Strawberry Shortcake:  A safe cake for non-adventurous eaters.  But it was good.  Fresh strawberry on top, light cake, good, standard buttercream.

The decor of the shop was much more clean and likeable to me than a lot of cupcake places--white with pastel colors, and jars of candy on the walls.  It felt like a turn-of-the-century sweet shop that had had a collision with a 50s diner.  I liked it.

The staff weren't quite as chipper and outgoing as So Cupcake, but they were professional and friendly and served me promptly.

Overall, this cupcake place made me love their cupcakes.  The Cupcake Quest will continue, because this is probably an outlier.  But, if you're ever in Utah, you have to go to the Sweet Tooth Fairy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?