Remember the Context

The other day, I was reading some of Abigail Adams' writing.  She really is one of the greatest minds to have ever lived, and she really did keep her husband in line sometimes when he started to stray down the path of elitist federalism. I have a lot of respect for this woman, and for her support of an intelligent man.  However, I was reading a letter to John Adams that has since been titled, "Remember the Ladies."  And then, I read some analysis of the letter. 

It seems that it has become something of a feminist manifesto.  The funny thing is, I don't think that Abigail Adams meant it that way.  In the letter, she urges her husband not to forget the women in this new revolution of his.  She begs him to be kinder to her sex in his new government than any other had ever been. 

Then, she goes on to use irony.  She reminds Adams that they felt justified in their rebellion because they had no representation.  As such, Abigail tells John, women will someday stage a rebellion of their own if men continue to be tyrants over the wives.

Do I think that this is an important women's right's document?  Of course I do.  However, as a writer myself, I am acutely aware of the fact that perhaps Abigail Adams is have words put into her mouth by modern, feminist analysts.  Was Abigail really moving for a second women's revolution?  I don't think so.  Do the feminists analysts think she was?  Some do.

I would urge you to Remember the Context.  Don't use things in ways they were never intended to be used.

Comments

p said…
Are you not supplying a context of your own interpretation?

You don't really know Abigail, her personality and so on. How much do we know about the surrounding of the writing of the letter or her mental state?

Also, I believe you mean hyperbole, not irony. Her feminine revolution seems more of an overstatement than a contravention of possibly future reality.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?