Cooking for College Students #3

I haven't been to the grocery store in a while. This means that instead of coming home from work and thinking, "What do I want for dinner?", I come home from work, stare at my shelf of the pantry and then my corner of the fridge in turn and think, "What can I concoct out of this stuff?" I mean, the pickings are getting slim.

This has lead to a couple of things. One of them, Beth actually invented and I altered it, but I'll share it anyways. The other, I was wary about, but it worked out and turned out to be very good.

RECIPE 1: Ranch Chicken

chicken
ranch dressing
basil
tiny bit of salt (it makes the meat more moist in my opinion, so even though my dad never liked it and thus my mom never cooked with salt, I do).

So, you cook the chicken in the salt and basil using your favorite cooking technique. I like to put a DAB of oil on the pan so that it doesn't burn up, but not too much, or the recipe gets oily. Then, you add the ranch dressing and let it cook. Very good.


RECIPE 2: Chicken Broccoli Stroganoff

pasta
sour cream (when I invented it, I actually used half sour cream, half milk, because I didn't have enough sour cream)
chicken breast (with a tiny bit of salt), diced
1 can cream of broccoli soup
fresh broccoli, chopped

So, you cook your pasta. Then you cook the chicken in a separate pan. When it's cooked through, add the fresh broccoli. Mix them together for a small amount of time and add sour cream and cream of broccoli. Let this cook, stir it up, just like a regular stroganoff. You have to let it get its chunkies out and for the sour cream and cream soup to mix with one another. Then put it on top of the pasta.


And this has been cooking for college students. Over and out.

Comments

p said…
You'd probably like your ranch chicken better if you used the powder from a seasoning packet to flavor the chicken, then proceed with your recipe.

Then top with some plain yogurt, perhaps doctored with the basil, a little garlic and such. Less fat too as the dressing has all that mayo.
p said…
By seasoning packet, I mean the packet for mixing up Ranch Dressing from "scratch"

You can make a decent faux ranch from cottage cheese, minced garlic, dill, and some olive oil. Kind of a cross between ranch and a very mild blue cheese. Low fat too.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?