Cooking for College Students #1

I have embarked on a blog project which may or may not live to adulthood. It's called "Cooking for College Students." Since living in my own apartment, I've learned a few things about me and cooking: 1) my meal choices are heavily influenced by what is on sale at either Macey's or Smith's depending on which car-bear-roommate is going to the grocery store and her personal grocery store choices. 2) While cooking for myself, I don't have to eat things I don't like, and things that I love which basically no one else in my family does, I can eat to my heart's content. 3) My cooking is also heavily influenced by my ability either to not make leftovers or to make an acceptable form of leftover, given my terrible dislike for food that has been adulterated by a microwave.

However, I have noticed that the general college student kitchen is governed by two factors: price and time constraints. That is why I am sharing my college student recipes. I know many of you are not college students. But, if you are, or even if you're not, you are welcome to try my recipes, or at least be inspired by them. Google searching and adapting are how I make most of these recipes anyways.

Tonight, I went Greek. One thing I have to share. My mother does not like chickpeas. And as many of you know, if the mother does not like it, it probably does not become part of the standard household diet. I love chickpeas. Now that I'm in my own apartment, I can eat all the chickpeas I want. At Smith's about two weeks ago, canned chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) were on sale. I thought, "I really like those. I have no idea what I'm going to make with them, but they're a good price and I'm sure I can find something to do with them." So, I bought them. Tonight, after a wonderful conference, I looked into my cupboard at my shelf and evaluated the dinner options. I saw that can of chickpeas. It seemed like a good night to try, so I went online, googled some chickpea recipes, and then went back to the kitchen and developed a salad:

Chickpea Tuna Salad

1 can of garbanzo beans
1 can of tuna
10-12 black olives (I chopped mine up)
parsley
dried onions, lightly grilled in olive oil to make them not crunchy anymore
salt and pepper to taste
grated cheddar cheese (I know I was deviating from the Greek thing, but in my imagination it appeared as feta cheese. But, what kind of college student has feta hanging out in their fridge? So, the cheddar sufficed)

I drained the cans, mixed it all up and ate it. It was very good. Would it have been better with fresh onions? Yeah. Would it have been better with feta cheese? Yeah. Someday would I like to make it with those changes, plus some bell peppers and some artichoke? Sounds very yummy. But, now, I have some of this in a tupperware in my fridge, and it fulfilled my college student needs.

And so, Cooking for College Students #1 brings you Chickpea Tuna Salad.

Comments

Amy R said…
Eww! Chickpeas, Yuck.
Amy's mom used to make a delicious 3-bean (chick peas, cut string beans, and kidney beans) salad with some sliced onions all marinated in a vineagar and olive oil dressing. Season to taste.
Amy R said…
That 3-bean salad was pretty nasty, too, in my opinion. Although some people do enjoy it so I'm told. Hannah would maybe even like it, but you ain't gettin' the recipe from me.
diane said…
Hannah, you can get the recipe for three bean salad from me, because I love it. I always savored the chickpeas the most. Their texture is great. I would first suck the skin off, then slowly mash the chickpea with my tongue. It is kind of like an oreo tradition. I will give you the recipe
Hannah said…
Thank you, Diane. I am glad that someone can embrace my chickpea love.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?