"The Demon"

This is just a poem that I read in my Russian Literature class. I really liked it, so I thought I'd share it. Yes, I also posted it on Facebook.

“The Demon”
Aleksandr Pushkin

In the days when all the impressions of
existence were new to me–the glances of
maidens, the rustle of a grove, and the
singing of a nightingale at night; when sublime
feelings–freedom, glory, and love–and the inspired
arts were agitating my blood so strongly,
Then, casting a shadow of sudden anguish
over hours of hope and enjoyment,
a certain malicious genius began to visit
me in secret. Our meetings were sad:
his smile, his wondrous glance, his
wounding speeches poured cold venom
into my soul. With inexhaustible
slander he would tempt providence;
he called the beautiful a dream;
he despised inspiration; he disbelieved
in love, in freedom; he looked on life
scornfully, and nothing in all nature
was he inclined to bless.

Comments

Amy R said…
I quite enjoyed the poem as well. How is the class in general--as fulfilling as you hoped?

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?