Depressing Proposals of Cinema and Literature

So, I was thinking about this topic, as it came up last night on the floor. Many girls hold that the first proposal of Pride and Prejudice is the most heart-breaking thing in literature and cinema. This proposal and subsequent refusal can be seen here.



But worry not, because this is the end result of this relationship:



Anyways, I would contend that this is not in fact the most depressing proposal in Cinema/literature history. I submit a second contestant of a refused proposal, this one just makes me want to cry, that between Margaret Hale and John Thornton of "North and South:"



This one too ends well, as seen here:



But I find the reasons of refusal more sad. It's not a "you proposed very badly" but "I believe that you're a jerk because I'm a stuck-up fool who doesn't understand why you do what you do, even though you have to, and you're business-class and I'm upper-class, so leave me alone."

It makes me happy that they get together in the end.

Comments

Evelyn said…
Well...I, for one, quite enjoyed the 12 odd minutes of love--requited and unrequited--and romance to review!
Amy R said…
I really like that North and South one, too. That is one of my favorite movies and Elizabeth Gaskell has become one of my favorite authors. I have read many of her books in the last year or so.
Amy R said…
Also there certainly is something about Richard Armitage that is quite appealing.
I think this blog seems to have a gender orientation. gwh
Hannah said…
If I had no gender orientation, Grandpa, you'd have more reason to worry!

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?