Thanksgiving Excursions

On Tuesday, my classes ended earlier than most Tuesday, because what was known to the rest of the world as Tuesday was known as Friday here at BYU. Therefore, my last class ended at 1:00. I had said goodbye to my roommate before leaving for that, as she was leaving for California (her home). After the class ended, I then returned to my dorm, thinking I'd find Beth as that is what usually happens on Fridays. I'm done with class at 1 and she's done with work at 1, so we go on outings. However, she started work earlier, so she got off work at 12 instead of 1. I therefore walked to her apartment where we ate pasta, gingerbread families (father, mother and siblings), and hung around. Then, I returned to my dorm in order to pack, engage in a friendly game of Apples to Apples with ward members and then returned to Beth's apartment where I slept. At 10:03 AM, we boarded the bus for Orem.

Unfortunately, we took the wrong direction and ended up in a different part of Provo. Anyhow, we managed to get on the express bus that took us to Sandy. On the bus to Sandy, I met many lovely little children, and we had a fun conversation together. In Sandy, we boarded the train to Salt Lake. On the train, Beth and I met Janine (or however she spells it), who was from Australia. She was a nice lady. We then made it to Temple Square, where we were picked up by Grandpa and Clarine, and brought back to their abode. We stayed around there for awhile, talking, catching up and watching "The Ultimate Gift," then went to a ward activity at their church. We returned to the making of pies after that activity.

Thanksgiving the next day was wonderful. However, the house was inhabited by Clarine's relations, none whom I knew. And I swear that there were people in that house with whom I never even came in contact. There were at least 35 people there. After things had quieted down, naps were in order, followed by the watching of "Up."

The next day, we started the day with the making of many turkey tamales with relations that I knew! Phil, Lisa and their children came for this and directed the operation. There were so many of the tamales in the end! By the end of that excursion, my fingers had shriveled up from being wet and in flour-y stuff. But were those tamales ever good!

After the finishing of the tamale-making, we loaded up the truck and headed for South Jordan to meet the new cousins-once-removed (or for Grandpa and Clarine: great-grandchildren). Avri and Macall are the cutest little babies imaginable and it was great to catch up with the Dan Hatch side of the family. We brought Alex back to Grandpa and Clarine's, where Grandpa and Clarine went to bed and Alex, Beth and I caught up with one another. I hadn't seen Alex in three years! Questioning around the board was in order, as well as in the end, wonderful games of "Date, Dump, Marry." For those not of my generation, Date, Dump, Marry is a game in which people take turns being "it." The others playing will then come up with three persons, (real, celebrity, movie, literary, fictional, whatever), of the gender opposite the person who is "it." "It" must then decide who they will date, who they will dump and who they will marry. Sometimes they can be all such great choices you don't know who you wouldn't marry (such as one given me: "Westley from "The Princess Bride," Mr. Darcy from "Pride and Prejudice," and Robert from "Enchanted""), or such terrible choices you don't know what to do with yourself (such as one given Beth: "Voldemort, Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy," or also given Beth: "Laman, Kishkumen and Corianton), or plain hard to choose ones, (such as given Alex: Biblical characters Deborah, Ruth and Esther).

This morning, we rode up to Salt Lake where we met Phil and Lisa, who brought us back down to Provo and that was the end of the Thanksgiving excursions!

Comments

Yeah, and attending the BYU-Utah football game was no minor matter either. gwh

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?