Funny Moments of the Day

Some very funny things happened at school today. To share the small parts:

1) So, in English, we were supposed to be working on our Extended Essays/Culminating Projects (another day to explain this annoying graduation requirement). We had all worked on them, and were getting slightly bored with the heinous project. So, we were discussing politics. And we got around to Sarah Palin and creationism in schools. So, one of the guys in our group, his dad is a minister, he's full preacher's boy. He just gets this really confused look on his face and says, "Wait. What's Creationism?" We all look at him for a few seconds before he gets the "duh!" look on his face and says, "Oh yeah, nevermind."

2) I'm tutoring this girl in French. We come to this part of her reading that says, "Je te l'ai dit." This essentially means, "I told you about it." She wanted to know what it meant, literally. I tried to explain to her that it means, "I told you about it."

She said, "No, what does each word mean?"

I just said, "Don't try to translate French word by word. It has a different sentence structure. It won't work." But she insisted. "Okay, it, word by word, means, 'I you it have told.'"

3) In ToK (Theory of Knowledge), we're talking about perception being altered because of what you're focusing on. Our teacher says, "So, who's ran a red light before?" The kid next to me says, "I once ran this red light but I swear that I thought it was a stop sign for some reason. It just got translated into my brain that way. I even stopped, inched out, looked both ways and went. I didn't even realize I'd ran a red light until the people behind me started honking and I looked in my rearview mirror."

4) So, tomorrow, the IB Senior History is having a Vice Presidential debate viewing party. This one girl in the class says, "Here?"

My teacher responds. "Yes, here." (He thought she was talking about the room specifically)

"Oh! On TV!"

Everyone just kind of looks at her funny and the teacher says, "You know, when you do things like that--have moments that stupid, you usually try to keep them to yourself."

"I was just really confused. I just thought, why in here? Why not the nice big theatre?"

At this neither the class nor teacher could contain the laughter.

5) Best for last. We're in Calculus. We get some time to work on our homework, and it's derivatives of trigonometric things. After a few moments, one of the boys at our group just throws his pencil onto the desk and says, "I'm done. I don't want to take calculus anymore. I hated trig identities back in pre-calc and I hate them even more with their derivatives. I'm not taking calculus anymore. I'm going to go and be one of the information desk people at the mall. But you probably need calculus for that too!"

The teacher then says, "But you're only a junior. What are you going to do next year?"

"I really don't know. Is there anyway I could take calculus again?"

"Not unless you fail this year. And I don't think your parents would be happy about that, would they?"

"My little brother is as dumb as bricks and my parents still love him!"


So, in short, I had a great day. It was fun and those are just the highlights. By the way, the kid in Calculus is not really going to quit the class in case anyone was worried.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?