2016 New Year's Resolution Reflection: Time to Face the Music

You know that moment when it's time to admit that you didn't do something?  It's time for me to take responsibility for my absolute failure to follow-through with the year 2016. 

I could give you all the reasons that I didn't reach hardly any of my resolutions, and there are quite a few reasons.  For one, I moved across the country and completely changed everything about the way my life is.  I went back to M-F weeks, I quite night shifts.  I cut my income in half.  I became a student again.  I left healthcare.

For another, I had a concussion in 2016, which is surprisingly much more draining than I had ever realized.  It's probably three weeks before you don't want to very little other than sleep deeply all day every day.  It's probably about two months before you don't do emotionally bizarre things like cry at an episode of Baywatch.  Yes, that really happened.  I was afraid that they weren't going to be able to get the little boy out of the water before the shark ate him! And yes, it's Baywatch, they never fail.  Then it's probably three months before you are able to not want to sleep 13 hours a day.  And it's probably four months before you don't randomly say kind of mood-swingy sorts of things.  Let's just say that New Years Resolutions were not the number one priority for the start of the year.

But, I also have to admit that I let the excuses ride.  So, here we are in 2017.  And it's time to admit all the things I promised but didn't do in 2016.
Health Goals
Eat at least one meal every day:  FAIL I got a little better, because being back to M-F, 9-5 type of life, I would pack a lunch. But Saturdays...all bets are off.  And even some weekdays.

Carry around a water bottle: FAIL
 
Remain at a weight that I am happy with:  SUCCESS/FAIL. Until December, this happened.  And I was a little disappointed when I wasn't the flat-tummied Irish dancer anymore after I stopped dancing almost 10 hours/week in favor of crying in front of a biochemistry book.  I never thought I'd cared about my body.  Apparently I did.
Writing Goals 
Finish first edit of novel "War to End All Wars": FAIL
Finish first edit of novel "Passing the Setting Sun": FAIL

Finish first draft of "The Secrets (and Amazing Adventures) of Timothy Pavlock": SUCCESS!

Finish first draft of "The Legend of Jael.": FAIL
  Complete NaNoWriMo in November: SUCCESS!
Reading Goals
Read at least 100 books: FAIL. I read 78.
5% of total books read must be non-fiction: FAIL. (2.6%)
7.5% of total books read must be "classic" or "great" books: FAIL. (5.1%)
Religious and Family History Goals
Read scriptures every day: FAIL
 Pray every day:  FAIL

Index or arbitrate 300 records every quarter: FAIL.

Find 14 names for the temple: FAIL. 
Go to the temple at least twice per month: FAIL.
Diligently look for an eternal companion: EH...SUCCESS/FAIL.
Professional and Career Goals
Get into a PhD program:  SUCCESS!

Finish 14 CE Credits for ASCP: SUCCESS!
Music and Dance Goals
Finish John Thompson Level 4:  FAIL.
Learn all of Mozart Concerto in A major for violin: FAIL.
Achieve Prizewinner Level in all Irish Dance competition categories: FAIL (I did move one dance to Prizewinner, though)

Practice Irish Dance consistently: SUCCESS...until I moved.
Renaissance Project Goals

Finish my current Latin book: FAIL

Finish my current Ancient Greek book: FAIL.

Finish my current Hebrew book: FAIL

Camp Little Oak Goals
These are goals for Camp Little Oak...the camp that I run.
Get a functional website up and running: FAIL
Revamp the Staff Manual: FAIL.

Financial Goals

Keep an Up-to-date budget: FAIL

  Random Goals
Sew a dress: FAIL

Do Four Things on my bucket list: FAIL.

Visit One New State: SUCCESS!

Crochet a scarf:FAIL.
Bake Once a Week: FAIL.

As you can see...New Year's Resolutions were not successful in 2016.  Tomorrow, I shall present New Year's Resolutions 2017.  And they're different.

Comments

Amanda said…
This one meal a day thing is so real to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?