Eclectic Thoughts from Airline Travel

I am back in Salt Lake from New York.  These are my thoughts from the airline travel experience in a list:

(Warning: My dislike for people who complain about babies on planes will be featured. If you are one of those people, I'm not sorry. Babies have a right to fly too. I've seen a fad around the internet saying that the parents of babies on planes should give out gift bags to other passengers. Heck no. Other passengers should give them gift bags. I promise you, their day is going much more stressfully than yours, and no I don't know what's going on in your life, but I don't care, because the statement still stands).

 On to the list:


1) The babies: The guy next to me keeps on making snide comments about how unlucky we are to have a toddler in front, a baby behind and a toddler across the aisle. Then he starts whining to the parents behind us to shut their child up. If you hear enough of it, you start to speak baby cry. That baby was crying because of a combination of "I am dead tired" and "I am in pain." Most likely because her ears hurt, and she didn't understand why, and wouldn't know what to do about it if she did understand. If your ears felt like they were exploding and you didn't know why, you'd cry too.

2) The father of the baby told his wife, "When we get to Atlanta, we have a two hour layover. I'll talk to the USO and see if there's somewhere we can get her to sleep." The man next to me said (loudly) "The USO is for soldiers. Not parents who can't control their children." The father of this family, as I had learned earlier from talking to him, is active duty Air Force (not in uniform at the moment, but still Air Force). Read the USO mission statement. It's for the support of soldiers and THEIR FAMILIES. Absolutely appropriate use of the USO.

3) NOT ABOUT BABIES: Cruel, cruel "joke" by the airline pilot: "We are starting our final descent into Salt Lake City. Temperature in SLC is a minus seven [pause while people groan/whimper] Celsius. That's about nineteen Fahrenheit."

4)Why does Goldberg's Deli sell Pork sandwiches? That seems wrong.

5) While taxiing to the gate in the space where we seem to have stopped and everyone starts getting up, then the plane lurches forward just a bit. Person almost falling down in the aisle: "They should warn us when the plane is going to move again!" They do...it's called the seatbelt sign...which is still illuminated.

6) On the plane I watched Insurgent. Because I'm not going to actually pay money to watch that thing (I also watched the live action Cinderella, which I legitimately WANTED to see). I learned Insurgent's one of those rare movies where the movie is better than the book. However, the difference between Amity and Abnegation was already very minimal. And while trying to make Jeanine's reasons for rounding up the divergents actually compelling (which I do applaud), they seemed to show that the movie makers don't understand that difference. Because not killing someone that you have every reason to want to kill is a mark of Amity. Not Abnegation. Abnegation is selflessness and charity. Amity is forgiveness and nonviolence. But then we wouldn't have our cliche fighting your inner-self scene. Also, but unrelated, in an effort to make the movie shorter, they character slaughtered Four in one gunshot.

7) The baggage handlers mutilated my suitcase after three flights (one way) to the point of being unusable. So, I bought a new one, literally two hours before leaving for the airport today. Which the baggage handlers promptly dropped in the mud. Anyone know how to get mud out of suitcases?

8) While boarding the bus to the economy lot on a very icy night. The music was the "hold on" chorus of "Oh Sherrie" by Journey.  Just think about this for a moment.

These are some of my eclectic thoughts from trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?