Book Review: Paper Towns

“You know your problem, Quentin? You keep expecting people not to be themselves."

My list of books that need reviewing has, once again, become completely unmanageable.  Therefore, let the mass of book reviews (once again) begin. 

It's almost there.  I have almost read every John Green book ever written.  Really.  All I have left is Will Grayson, Will Grayson.  Scratch that, he wrote something with some other person called Let it Snow, and some silly humor series called Zombicorns that he wrote for charity.  Okay. I have almost read all of the solo-serious books by John Green.  And no matter what some may tell me, I like John Green books. 

First, I must remind you all that I am a proponent of young adult novels that do not underestimate the intelligence and emotional maturity of teenagers.  And that is a huge reason why I like John Green.  Second, I think he's an engaging writer who has a way of touching human emotions without overstating them.  I wish I could dig deep into the human soul in six-word quips like he does.

Paper Towns (which will soon be made into a movie, FYI) is about a boy named Quentin Jacobsen who has, generally, done what was expected of him. But he's always kind of wanted to be like the girl next door, Margo Roth Spiegelman, who seems to never do what's expected of her.  She loves mysteries, and he just wants to understand her.  And after a night of crazy pranks, when Margo goes missing, Quentin refuses to believe that, perhaps, he can't understand her.  Even worse, what if there's nothing to understand?

I liked the way the story dealt with one of the hardest things in life--being okay with other people being (as Dickens says) "that profound mystery."  

Dealing with real questions of real life, Paper Towns is a delightful and witty read. 


Four stars!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?