Falling With Style: What works with a ukulele?

As much as I like the ukulele, it is not the most versatile instrument.  Especially when you compare it to pianos.  But, some songs work surprisingly well.  This is one of those songs.  Ever since President Packer's talk a few conferences ago, I have loved the song "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy." I didn't really know it before that.  But, in its purity it should be song by a cappella men's quartets.  I have felt that way since the week after conference when some guys in my ward sang it that way in sacrament meeting.  So, I can't do it justice. 

However, I found that, much to my surprise, it works well with ukulele accompaniment.  Maybe it's the slow and plaintive feeling.  Maybe it's the ocean references.  But I like it.

Remember however, that there are many things that Hannah does well.  Singing isn't one of them.  There are many things that Hannah does mediocre-ly.  Singing isn't one of those either.


Comments

Amy R said…
I've always liked this hymn as well, and always been a little irked that it seems it is always only arranged for men in the hymnbook. By the way, the music group "The Lower Lights" took their name from this song.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?