Weird Habits: Oats...Kind of "Cooking for College Students"

So, this is just something that I've started doing recently. Ever since I was a small child, I have hated oatmeal. I used to think it was the taste. But this week, I bought some raw oats for an apple crisp I was making. I just ate some dry, raw oats when I was making the apple crisp, and then I found that I LOVE THEM! It was just the mushy porridge-y thing I hated. Now, I eat them raw. With a spoon. A few drops of milk add a bit of sweetness. Yeah. The internet says there's nothing dietarily wrong with it. I don't know if that's true, but that's my new thing.

However, this does not come as that big of a surprise for me. Because I don't have a very strong sense of smell, my sense of taste is kind of basic. Sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami. Those are my tastes...all other nuances are pretty lost when it comes down to it. So, I've noticed that a lot of my likes and dislikes are based solely on texture. It's just another one.

Comments

Evelyn said…
I put "raw" rolled oats in yogurt a lot--along with walnuts and certain fresh fruits (usually berries, but I like fresh peaches and apples in this yogurt combination, too.
p said…
Same as evelyn with the yogurt and fresh fruit. Mangos are very good this way. A drizzle of honey is good too.
A good sleuth could find out that I have eaten oatmeal raw and enjoyed it.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?