Cooking for College Students #7

Today's issue of Cooking for College Students is going to be slightly different. We are going to discuss, instead of a recipe, the basic techniques of college student cooking. If I had to give one piece of food advice to college students everywhere, this is what it would be: Don't decide what you want to make and then go to the grocery store. Look at the grocery store ads, see what is on sale and then decide what you think you could use.

Now, I'm not saying buy something just because it's on sale. Last week, there was a massive sale on rice. I would really rather eat mashed potatoes. I don't dislike rice, but I know that each night I would say, "What carb tonight: rice, potatoes or pasta?" and every time I would choose potatoes or pasta. So, I didn't buy any rice. There was this huge sale on baked beans. I despise baked beans, basically. So, why would I buy them? However, cater your cooking to the sales. People have criticized me that I never try the more crazy stuff, because it is never on sale. This is not true. This week, I introduced another ingredient into my repertoire of possible ingredients for the concoctions I invent. It's name is radish.

Radish is a good friend. On Wednesday, I was doing my shopping at Buy Low Markets and found that they had radishes. For 25 cents a bundle. I remembered liking radishes when we had them growing up and figured that for 25 cents a bundle, I could just eat them raw if I couldn't figure out anything to do with them. Eating them raw has been fun, but I've also found them to be remarkably versatile little buggers and can be anywhere that I carrot could when it comes down to it. After doing some research, I learn that they are also fairly healthy little buggers. So, I think that radishes are here to stay as long as they stay on sale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?