Cooking for College Students #4

So, this is kind of a recipe, thus why it goes under this series. However, this is more a story of my life. At some point in your life, you will open up your food storage unit and realize that you have nothing to eat for dinner. Whether this is because you don't have the money to buy food, or your need to visit the grocery has increased from "need" to an actual imperative NEED, or whatever, this day will come. Mine came. And the reason was the second listed.

So, I went to anatomy with the assumption that I was going to be eating jello for dinner when I got back. Come on, there are four servings per box, and so if you eat a whole box, that's 320 calories. That could be considered a meal, right? There are even 2 grams of protein in each serving! But, I donated blood yesterday, so I know that my caloric demand is a little higher. So, while studying Old Testament, I came to a realization. In the Book of 1 Kings, Elijah comes to a widow to ask her for food. Her response is that she has nothing but oil and flour and that she only has enough for her and her son and that tomorrow they will starve to death because that's all they have. Elijah promises her that if she feeds him first, the oil and flour will last until the end of the famine.

Some of the things I have in my "empty" cabinet: flour and oil. And I'm not exaggerating on how slim the pickings in this cabinet are. So, if this widow and her son lasted an entire famine off of flour and oil, why can't I last one night? So, I put flour, water and a tiny bit of salt into a bowl. I heated up some oil, poured in my mixture, cooked it, and here I am doing my homework with a bowl of jello and a bowl of Elijah's Widow's Famine Food. It's not actually that bad. I wouldn't eat it forever though.

Comments

Amy R said…
I love this post. Basically you made the pancakes that Sam made one time and hated. Remember that.
p said…
You were just about to Spaetzle. Spaetzle in some broth, or with cheese and onions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaetzle

Just force the batter through a large holed colander or grater in a pinch

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?