The Tall Girl Complex

Today is Hannah either complaining about an issue or just being flat out bitter. All right, to start with, I'm 5'1''. Yes, I'm short. But girls who are 5'7'', 5'8'' plus, you don't want to be 5'1''. There are down-sides to being tall and there are downsides to being short. I acknowledge this, but I don't want to hear about the following and how it makes your life so hard:

1) Boys don't like tall girls. Really? I wasn't aware of this. In fact, why then do girls wear heels? The tall girls on my floor instituted a rule (which is not being obeyed) that short girls may only date short guys so that the tall girls have guys that are taller than they are. The exception to this rule was a 5'6'' 1/4 Japanese boy in our ward who they thought highly attractive and so he was deemed "tall for his ethnicity" and made available to tall girls only. For the record, not all Asians are short, and 1/4 Japanese makes him more Caucasian than Asian, so is his ethnicity really "Asian?" Anyways, I'm sorry. I understand that it may difficult for you, thinking that guys want a girl shorter than them, but hey, when I had a boyfriend, he had to either lift me up or I'd have to stand on a stair so that we could hug. It's inconvenient for both extremes. Whenever they complain about this and I say, "Well, there's advantages to being tall too, so just be thankful." I get told, "We weren't talking about being short. You just don't understand."

2) Tall girls have an excuse to dress against the honor code. This makes me so mad. The honor code says knee length skirts. Not, knee-length depending on how tall you are. Some girls I was with today got turned away from the Cannon Center because their skirts were too short and then went on about how they were being discriminated against because they're tall. That it's hard to find skirts that are long enough when you're tall. That doesn't matter. The Honor Code says knee-length and why did you even bring that skirt to BYU if it wasn't that length. It's hard for more well-endowed girls to find shirts that cover all their cleavage, but does that mean that it's an excuse to show their cleavage? No. It's hard for me to find skirts and jeans that don't drag in the dirt, but that's life. You can find the skirts that are long enough. My roommate is 5'8'', and I have never seen her wear skirts against the honor code. One of the girls upstairs always follows the honor code in her dress and she's at least 5'9" if not more. And then, these girls went on, when they saw a girl who was short with a very short skirt who hadn't been seen, about how they don't even look at short girls' skirts because they assume that only tall girls would be a problem. Well, I saw the girl checking skirts look at my skirt when I walked in with these girls, and guess who is definitely not tall.

I'm sorry. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. But that is life. Look on the bright side. When you talk to a guy, you can see his face. When you're walking down the hallway, people don't step on you, look down and say, "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see you." Do people make fun of you for being tall? I don't think so. Do people make fun of me for being short? Well, yeah, but I've gotten over it. But just because you're tall, doesn't mean the entire world hates you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?