Another One on the Role of LDS Women

I had previously written an essay of the role of women in the LDS society which directed towards non-Mormons. I now find myself writing a second one, but not towards non-Mormons but towards Mormons.

I admit it, I want to study. I want a graduate degree. I will not, I repeat, will not not get my bachelor's degree. That is just not happening. I am sorry. I firmly believe that the role of women is in the home. However, I do not think it's any where in God's plan for women to be ignorant, uneducated or suppressed. We are told to gain knowledge in this life so that we can have more in the next. And I think that applies to secular knowledge as well. I mean, we'd better get used to learning about how earths, animals and people are put together, because if we do what we're aiming for, we're going to have to build some ourselves. And as we all know, two heads are better than one, so I wouldn't leave this all to our husbands. I mean, I can just imagine it now, "Honey! Do you remember which goes on top, the spleen or the liver?" "I'm sorry, dear, I thought my job was to do the dishes so I never bothered to find out."

I was recently cleaning my dorm room, and for the fun of it, put on an apron while doing so. A girl on my floor walked by (who is a feminist in the worst sense of the word). She asked me why I was wearing an apron to which I responded, "I don't know, I like feeling domestic."

Her response? "Well, in this stupid church, you might as well get used to it."

She looked like she was in a hurry, so I didn't, but I really wanted to say this: Hold the phone. My job is to be a MOTHER IN ZION! Not a HOUSEWIFE in Zion. Reminder: my current plan is to go to medical school.

I suppose that this is probably where I should end my rant. Because I'm getting passionate here. But here's what I think members of the church should never do:

1) Girls: NEVER assume that you can drop out of college or high school because your "husband will support you." A) You don't know that you'll get a husband when you're 21-years-old. B) You don't know that your family will be in a situation to subsist on only one income C) You don't know that your husband will always be alive or in a situation to work. Things happen, and you need to be prepared for that. D) You don't know what God's plan is for your family

2) Girls: Even if you are always in a situation to be at home and that's the plan, having an education in ANYTHING will help you be a better mother.

3) All members of the church: NEVER assume that if a woman has graduate degrees, works, what have you, that she is neglecting her family. You do not know the situation, you do not know the prayers that have gone into that decision, you do not know ANYTHING about that person.

4) All members of the church: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER lower the divine and sacred role of motherhood to be synonymous with housewifing. It's not the same thing, and it will never be the same thing. And yes, there's a huge difference between housewife and homemaker. A housewife is a subservient woman who stays at home and does exactly what her husband tells her to do. A homemaker is one who stays at home, actively making their own decisions about how best to make the best home life for their children and spouse. It's a skilled job not for the uneducated. So, get your education.

I know that I used a lot of caps, but I wasn't in the mood for bold or italics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?