Will I Take the Plunge?

The question is becoming more real. As my first good piece of writing (at least my first good novel) is nearing completion, I'm beginning to consider publishing. I know, I know. How could I let my baby out into the world to be picked apart? The answer? I really don't know. I guess I've just finally realized that eventually this baby needs to grow up and be out in the world. I've submitted short stories to magazines. The many rejection letters posted on the wall remind of where those all went. I should become more involved in that again, I think. I've submitted freelancing. I've made a total of $.05! YES! But I tell you, eventually, they will get accepted as well, if I keep trying. My nonfiction skills have not developed enough yet I guess. To tell you the truth, the $.05 is because the source/freelance agency that I uses gives you a cent if you're in the top five choices. You don't get the actual cash promised to the writer unless they use your article.

However, as I look into the world of novel publishing, I'm getting discouraged. It looks like I have two choices that are options for me in my current state: publish where I put no money down and work with a gosh-awful publisher for the rest of that book's career (PublishAmerica), or publish where I put down $225 and I do my own marketing and editing (XLibris). I have no agent and no way to get an agent so the big publishers are pretty much out, and if I want XLibris to actually market and edit for me, it's more to the tune of $2500. For $225, they'll design my cover and print it for me! I'll have to research more and stuff, but right now, from what I've heard of PublishAmerica both on the internet and through people I know who have published through them, I'm going through XLibris.

Comments

You can always write for the joy of using words and for how they become a building block in an overall creation. My advice: don't strain at getting published; it seems to me publishers are somewhat unscrupulous; it is always best to get "discovered" rather than trying to force the direction the other way (none of the advantages is for the creator; the publisher stacks them all in his favor.) You have the talent, but it is a tough world to break into. gwh
p said…
Pay to publish is a crock. Don't do it.

Write until you get sold. Once you're sold, you can re-work/sell your older material now that you've cracked the market. Also, agents will take your material at that point.
diane said…
I hope you are more successful with publishing than me. I always wanted the publisher to put out all the money. I've been at it for 20 years. I think you have a better head for it than I though.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?