Movies I've Seen That Are Apparently Good Digressing into Literature

I am not much of a critique of the following:

1) photography. I recognize that photography is an art. I just don't understand it. I don't know what makes a good photo. And I don't understand what's going on with it all. But I admit, there is an artistic aspect. I just don't know what it is.
2) Fashion. Let's just let it be about me and fashion
3) Movies. I don't know. I can't say much more than I like or don't like it. Needless to say the one page critique of the movie of Cyrano de Bergerac written entirely in French was not my best piece of writing in French class. That was just...rough. On the other hand, I guess if I had extremely developed feelings towards it, I'd become frustrated by what I don't know how to say.

Anyways, I found a list of what TV guide finds the 50 best movies of all time. I will list those that I have seen, and say yeah or nay. This will consist of do I like it or do I not like it. Why some of them seem to be links, I'm not quite sure. But I don't feel like removing the hyperlinks.

46. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) I'm not going to lie. It was fun and entertaining, but definitely not the 46th best movie on earth. It probably didn't help that I saw a recorded copy and it would fuzz out every once and awhile.

44. Babe (1995) Yeah. It was that good.

43. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) I'm not quite sure what the obsession with Mr. Jones is. I just view him as...well there.

37. American Graffiti (1973) I couldn't ever follow who was who and what was going on in each different person at the moment...maybe I need to try it again. Maybe I was too young. I was about eleven or something.

34. Apollo 13 (1995)It was pretty good.

32. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) This movie really was quite hilarious. It was really good.

29. The Lion King (1994)I was kind of surprised to see this on there. I hadn't ever really thought of it as a classic

28. Gone With the Wind (1939) The book was good. The movie just made a good movie because it had a good story behind it.

27. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)Why was this different than the other Star Wars?

17. Some Like It Hot (1959) Funny, but not as cleverly funny as say, Dr. Strangelove

13. Pinocchio (1940)What can I say? I agree.

12. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) I have never met anyone who didn't like this movie. I am no exception. Because I wrote that, someone's going to inform me that they don't, and then my whole fantasy world will be destroyed in its entirety.

8. Psycho (1960) I thought it was pretty strange. We watched it last year in English. Because of Freudian whatever in the opera of Siegfried. I just kind of thought, "What? He dresses up like his mother to kill beautiful women?" I know if was based on a true story, but just...what?

6. Singin' In the Rain (1952) This was a pretty good movie.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) Probably does not hurt that this is in my top five favorite books of all time

4. The Wizard of Oz (1939) Now, really, be honest. Is it classic because of the movie, or the music, or the concept of colored screens?

2. Casablanca (1942) It was really good. Really, really good. But on the other hand, I almost hesitate to call it number two of all time. It seems like too many movies for it to have beaten.


For those interested, my favorite books of all time:

1. East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Timshel forever! I saw the TV series with my mom, I just had to go read the book, and I loved it even more. It's just so...true and inspiring. And it was just...beautiful.

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

I'll love you forever Carton! My mom had me read this in homeschool, and I protested and protested because it was so slow in the very beginning and I didn't understand at first what was happening (I was very impatient when it came to beginnings back them). Mom, thank-you. I haven't regretted it since. Such a beautiful story of sacrifice and love. Pure love. Not lust. And controlling your feelings.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

A lot of people don't like this one, because some cruel, horrible English teacher overanalyzed and tore to bits and made people hate it. It's a beautiful piece of literature. And the tone that Lee is able to achieve throughout the entire book, is gorgeous.

4. Middlemarch by George Eliot

I know, I know. Yeah, a very unusual favorite. What can I say? I think that Rosamund should bite it, Latterslaw go have fun with his political reform or whatever and Lydgate and Dorothea should get married. Latterslaw is a good guy, but he doesn't quite deserve Dorothea. Lydgate does. And Rosamund doesn't deserve anyone in this picture. She deserves to die in horrible poverty. And Mary Garth and Fred Vincey...I wish them luck. Let's hope Fred pulls himself up a bit

5. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I cried and cried the first time I read it. It's short, but just magical.

6. Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson

Once again, short. Once again, I cried my eyes out (I'm a crier when it comes to books and movies...had you noticed?) So...poignant. Not sure if that's the word I'm looking for, but it is now.

7. Dubliners by James Joyce

I'm sorry, Phil. We've been reading this in English this year, and everyday I like it more. I read an excerpt from Finnegan's Wake, and I have no idea what's going on there (no one does), but Dubliners, I like. My English teacher goes on all sorts of trips everywhere, and every year he goes to Dublin and does all sorts of Joycean this and that, and he told us that he asked Joyce's nephew (who runs the Joyce center in Dublin) what Finnegan's Wake was about. The nephew just said, "Heck if I know." Apparently he's read it about five times and still doesn't get it. Dubliners is just beautiful though. So much imagery and the language is so developed and perfect and fitting. But I'm also a sucker for anything Irish. So that probably helps, what with all the Nationalism regalia of Dubliners. I find that all highly fascinating.

8. Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmund Rostand

We did some stuff with this in French. I read the English version after that, and I'm trying to dig myself up a French version to try. What an intriguing character in Cyrano. And I actually don't find Christian to be as useless as some people seem to consider him. He has his good points too.

9. A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter

I was in love with this when I was about 11 or 12. I don't know what it was about it. I reread it and realized that really, the plot was dull until the second half and the writing was bad all the way through. But I must pay homage to it anyways. It had me captivated.

10a. Artemis Fowl (don't know which of the series is my favorite) by Eoin Colfer

Yes, I've lowered myself. From Joyce, Steinbeck, Eliot and Dickens to Artemis Fowl. It's funny, intriguing, not always 110% scientifically accurate, but close enough that I can buy it. And I can't ever put an Artemis Fowl book down.

10b. Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

I don't know if I like this guy or Artemis more, but I've always loved the Narnia books and Horse and His Boy had the best grab-em if you know what I mean. I identified with Aravis and Shasta even more than I had ever identified with my beloved Narnia friends (Lucy, Susan, Peter, Edmund, Eustace, Jill, Digory, Caspian, etc.). Something about it held me tight. And I don't care if it's supposedly anti-Arab. Aravis is just as Calormene as the villains. Where's all that garbage coming from?

Anyways, there is the media report. Have a nice day

Comments

Chris said…
Hi, I'm Chris, destroyer of fantasy worlds. I can't stand It's a Wonderful Life. Three hours of black and white tedium do not a classic movie make.
I like "It's A Wonderful Life." Clarine put it on the other evening, and I said that I didn't want to watch it because I have seen it so much. Any way it started; I watched and didn't quit until it ended. gwh
Amy R said…
I find it interesting that several of your favorite books are mine, too. Could it be that we homeschooled together or what. East of Eden, Tale of Two Cities and To Kill a Mockingbird are some of the books I choose to read over and over. East of Eden is where I first got the name Caleb. I'm also quite enjoying my rereading of Laura Ingalls Wilder with Sarah as well. In my opinion, Wilder is a better writer than I think many people realize.
Amy R said…
Oh and Chris, Tom said, "I'm sure you could find a colorized version of It's a Wonderful Life."

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?