Book Review: Theodosia Throckmorton Series

Well guys, in the next two months the following will happen:

1) I will leave Salt Lake City
2) I will move to Cincinnati
3) I will run Camp Little Oak
4) I will start my PhD. 

As such, my mind power to come up with blog stuff is dwindling.  But I will continue the book reviews, as I can write them if I have a topic.  I just can't come up with other topics right now.  But perhaps when I settle into my new routine, I will be able to do that.

Today's book review is of a series which I don't recommend starting.  Not because it isn't any good. It's actually fairly likeable.  I only don't recommend it, because I did start it and now I'm very let-down, as the fifth and last book of the Theodosia Throckmorton Series, Theodosia and the Flame of Sekhmet, which was supposed to come out in 2012, still hasn't. And now I'm just sitting here waiting.  Yep...

Theodosia Throckmorton has a problem.  Her parents, who run the Museum of Legnds and Antiquities, have this terrible habit of bringing home cursed Egyptian artifacts.  Which no one else seems to realize are cursed.  That means that it falls to her to make sure that nobody is killed by all these cursed objects, and that the British Empire remains intact.  But when a bunch of ridiculous people start trying to get involved, such as the Serpents of Chaos, the Arcane Order of the Black Sun, and a bunch of others, Theodosia might be in for more than she bargained.

This is a delightful little series, though perhaps a little bit slow-moving.  Though it's marketed for children, unless you have a little reader, it appeals more for adults who like children's literature than actual children.  However, it does have a surprisingly good grasp both on Egypt, and the Victorian obsession with the occult and Egyptology. 

I like Theodosia as a character, though it does fall prey to that unfortunate trope that adults are just ridiculous human beings at their core.

A nice 4 star series! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?