Book Review: I'd Tell You I'd Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You

“All these years I'd thought being a spy was challenging. Turns out, being a girl is the tricky part.”


I have been debating making this review, because I didn't want to admit that I read, let alone liked, a purely teen-girl novel.  But I decided, I have to admit when a good one comes along.  And it happened. So, here goes.




Cameron Morgan and her friends go to Gallagher Academy.  Nominally, it's a school for genius girls.  But it's actually a Spy Academy.  They understand PhD level chemistry, but they don't understand the chemistry that governs teenagers.  They are trained blend into any culture seamlessly, but apparently that doesn't include normal American teens. They can speak about 14 languages with any accent that situation demands.  Unfortunately, Teenage Boy is not one of those languages. 

So when they launch an operation to figure out if the boy that Cammie ran into on their CoveOps practice is a "honeypot," they are in way over their heads.  It's going to take one of the deepest covers yet.  The cover of being a normal person.

Yes, it's a teen-girl book.  But it's a quite funny one.  It's clever and enjoyable.  Sure, lasting substance?  Not so much.  But they're fun.

4 stars.

Comments

Amy R said…
You have to do this kind of "gumdrop" reading every now and then just to regroup. Glad it was enjoyable and not too much of a waste of reading time. I might even read this book sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?