What's up

Well, what's up?

First item of business that I'm very sad about: I don't get to go to Washington DC. So, there weren't enough people who had paid their money because of snow stuff and things, so we're not going to DC. However, the air-heady juniors in the club are happy now, because they had never wanted to go to DC anyways. The whole time they'd wanted to go to California, which was our other out of state option. Why? They said that they were worried about the between conference activities--they said there wasn't anything to do in DC. WHAT? HELLO! There are millions of things to do in DC. Did our full itinerary of things we were going to do mean nothing? Capitol Building, White House, Lincoln Memorial by night, Holocaust Museum, Library of Congress, and SO MANY OTHER THINGS! And actually, these are the girls that had voted to go to the Six Flags. You're in DC, and you're going to go to Six Flags? Who are you?

Now I see that they were talking about wanting shopping and lots of amusement parks. Seriously people. No fun.

Anyways, now, I get to go to Bellingham for an MUN conference, where I will represent Romania. I'm part of ESOC (Economic and Social Council). There are two topics in ESOC at this conference: there is human trafficking (I believe) and distribution of medical care. As far as I know, one other person from my school is on ESOC (but we're not all signed up yet), but he's representing Bangladesh or Malaysia or something like that. There should be another Romania on Arab affairs...I think...from my school, but no one's signed up yet.

Romania's hard for this one, because it's right in the middle. In MUN, you have to argue from your country's point of view. Your actual country (for me: US) isn't the viewpoint you have to go from. It's the country you represent. So I have to think, "What's in this for Romania?" not "What's in this for the US." Usually on ESOC, there are two groups of countries. Countries that are "This will really help our country" types (Africa, parts of South-east Asia, South America, etc.), and countries that are "Yeah, but guess who has to pay for it: we do!" types (US, UK, France, Germany, etc.). East Europe goes both ways on this.

So I'm excited, but we'll see how it works out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over-analyzing Disney Movies: The Little Mermaid--Why Eric is White.

Derevaun Seraun! Derevaun Seraun!

What does it mean to be a Russell?